Orange Spain started on Monday (september 7) offering 5G service in five of the largest Spanish cities, less than a week after rival Telefonica TEF.MC rolled out its own service in the whole country. orange spain 5g
Orange now provides all its customers in the central areas of Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville and Malaga with 5G service at no additional cost on their telecom bill, the company said in a statement.
European telecoms operators are starting to roll out 5G to consumers and businesses, offering super-fast download speeds for smartphone users and supporting so-called smart devices and factories.
Orange plans to expand the 5G coverage to other Spanish cities later on, the statement said.
Roaming on 5G network isn’t possible yet but until then, roaming will continue over 4G.
Orange is responding to its rival Telefonica, which launched a nationwide 5G service last Tuesday, with the goal of bringing the next-generation mobile internet to 75% of the Spanish population this year.
Orange Spain Rates and areas with 5G coverage
For now, Orange’s 5G will reach the most central areas of the aforementioned cities, reaching a coverage of about 30% in each of them:
- Madrid : 5G coverage will be concentrated inside the M-30, although there will be neighborhoods and districts outside that will also be able to enjoy it (Hortaleza, Ciudad Lineal, San Blas, Puente de Vallecas, Aluche and Campamento). In Pozuelo de Alarcón, there will also be 5G coverage.
- Barcelona : 5G coverage will be concentrated south of the Diagonal, although it will extend to some districts such as Gràcia, Clot, Sant Martí and the Meridiana area. 5G coverage will also be available in part of the Free Zone (Mercabarna).
- Valencia : 5G coverage will be present in “a good part” of the municipality, from Beniferri, Benimaclet and Benicalap to the north to the line that marks the V30 to the south.
- Seville : 5G coverage will be concentrated in the center (inside the old wall, in areas on both banks of the Guadalquivir, both in Triana and Los Remedios and in the Old Town), as well as on Isla de la Cartuja.
- Malaga : 5G coverage will extend from the Malagueta beach to the Cádiz highway, following the coastline and covering the historic center of the city to Martiricos. In addition, following the axis of Avenida de Andalucía, coverage will reach the Teatinos campus.
In this way, as confirmed by the operator, all Orange private and business customers who are in these coverage areas and have a 5G smartphone (there are twelve in the operator’s catalog), will be able to enjoy this technology at no added cost on the contracted rate . That is to say, from today all Orange rates become 5G. But beware, only the contract ones (mobile or convergent), the prepaid ones not yet.