You might have come across the term eSIM but are unsure about what it signifies. Simply put, eSIM is a recent technological advancement that allows phones to connect to mobile networks without the need for a physical SIM card. The use of eSIM comes with several benefits, such as improved security, easy SIM swapping, and much more. eSIM for beginners
Given that it’s a novel technology, it’s understandable if you’re hesitant about adopting eSIM before purchasing it. Questions like “When should I buy an eSIM?”, “When can I install an eSIM?” and “Can I install an eSIM before my trip?” might naturally arise.
This article is designed to guide first-time eSIM users through the process. We aim to provide all the necessary information about eSIM to make the transition smoother and more comfortable for you.
When can you install your eSIM? eSIM for beginners
Installing an eSIM can be done anytime, provided your device supports it. A strong Wi-Fi network or hotspot from another phone is required for the installation. The steps may vary based on your mobile service provider and device’s operating system, but the general process includes:
- Checking device compatibility: Confirm that your device is eSIM compatible on the manufacturer’s website.
- Obtaining an eSIM activation code: You need to get this code or a QR code from your service provider.
- Accessing eSIM settings: Locate the “Cellular” or “Mobile Data” section in your device settings.
- Adding an eSIM profile: Enter the activation code or scan the QR code from your service provider.
Can you buy your eSIM before the trip?
Yes, you can purchase your eSIM ahead of your trip. The validity of the eSIM doesn’t start until you activate it and connect to a local network. To buy an eSIM online:
- Research eSIM providers: Choose a provider that offers services in your destinations.
- Purchase: Depending on the provider, you might pay a small fee or just for a new eSIM plan.
- Receive activation code or QR code: This will be used to activate your eSIM.
Can you install your eSIM before the trip? eSIM for beginners
You can also install your eSIM before your trip. The validity doesn’t start until you activate it upon reaching your destination, so there’s no need to worry about it expiring prematurely. Most eSIM providers will not start counting down the validity period until you activate the eSIM in your destination country. However, you can install the eSIM in advance to make sure it is ready to use when you arrive.
How much data have you used with your eSIM?
To track data usage on your eSIM, follow the same process as with traditional SIM cards. However, the steps may vary depending on whether you’re using an iOS or Android device. Let’s provide the guidelines for checking data usage on iOS and Android devices:
Checking data usage on iOS
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the “Cellular” or “Mobile Data” options in Settings.
- When you scroll down, you should see a breakdown of your data usage. These details include the amount of data used by each app or service.
Checking data usage on Android
- Open the Settings app on your Android device (tab or phone)
- Within Settings, look for the “Network & Internet” or “Connections” option. The exact wording may vary depending on your device manufacturer.
- Tap SIMS
- Tap on “Data usage” or any option related to this for the SIM you use for mobile data.
- Under data usage, you will find a detailed breakdown of your data usage, including the amount of data consumed by each app or service.
Can you delete your eSIM after using it? eSIM for beginners
If you no longer need your eSIM, you can delete it from your device. However, since devices with eSIM functionality can hold multiple eSIMs simultaneously, deletion is not usually necessary. Most devices can hold eight or more eSIMs at ago. But if you decide to delete your specific eSIM profile, follow the steps below:
Deleting eSIM on iOS
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on “Cellular” or “Mobile Data.”
- Select the eSIM profile you want to remove.
- Look for an option such as “Delete eSIM” or anything related to this. It is usually at the bottom of the screen.
- Confirm your choice to delete the eSIM profile.
Deleting eSIM on Android
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Tap the “Network & Internet” or “Connections” option.
- Look for “SIM & network” or a similar option.
- Select the eSIM profile you wish to delete.
- Tap on “Remove” or “Delete” to remove the eSIM profile from your device.
In conclusion, we’ve tried to answer some common questions that new eSIM users often have. Buying and installing an eSIM Plan before your trip is possible and convenient. Tracking data usage on an eSIM is as easy as with a traditional SIM card, and if necessary, you can delete it from your device.
Here are some indicative prepaid eSIM card prices: