As of February 24, 2022, 2G and 3G networks will cease to operate in the United States. The switch will make some older phones and devices useless but will make way for more advanced services, including 5G. 3g usa
If you are going on a trip to the USA, then for the correct operation of your smartphone, you need to make sure that it supports the VoLTE service.
AT&T, which announced that its 3G network would go dark Feb. 22, 2022, says its shutdown is on schedule but did not elaborate on when the process would be complete.
T-Mobile says the 3G network that had been part of Sprint before the two companies merged will go bye-bye on March 31, and its own 3G UMTS network will be shut down July 1. T-Mobile also indicated that the former Sprint’s LTE network — which stands for Long-Term Evolution and is a flavor of 4G — will be shuttered July 1.
Verizon plans to retire its 3G network Dec. 31 after extending an original 2020 deadline. The company says it will not extend the deadline again.
Is your phone affected? 3g usa
If you have a device from 2012 or before, using your phone to make calls is on borrowed time though some other features may continue to work. Not just the flip phones and feature phones are affected. Some early smartphones may also be included.
If your smartphone supports VoLTE service:
- Upon arrival in the US, be sure to restart your smartphone.
- In the smartphone settings, check the position of the “VoLTE” nameplate. It must be in the “ON” state (in some models of smartphones that support VoLTE, there may not be such a label).
- Register on the AT&T operator network.
- If you have a smartphone with the iOS operating system (iPhone), the message “network is not certified” may appear.
- Check the emergence of VoLTE as a communication standard.
- You can make calls, send and receive messages as usual, while billing will be carried out according to Tele2 tariffs, calls via VoLTE will not consume data packets.
- All local calls, calls to international destinations are made by dialing the “+” sign, then the country code and the number of the called subscriber.
- For VoLTE to work in roaming, it is not necessary to turn on the data service.
If your smartphone supports LTE but does not support VoLTE service:
- Full voice calls will not be available to you , including calls to emergency services.
- Check the availability of the apn profile in the smartphone settings: internet.tele2.ru.
- Upon arrival in the US, restart your smartphone.
- In the smartphone settings, check the position of the “data transfer in roaming” label. It should be in the “ON” state.
- Sign up for an AT&T carrier network.
- Make calls via instant messengers (Skype, WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.).
- To reduce data transfer costs, you can additionally use the “Unlimited Internet Abroad” service.