Apple has been rumoured to be working on a self-driving electric vehicle, codenamed Project Titan, for years. While Apple’s electric vehicle could still be some time away, the company continues to post jobs related to car experience, road safety and strengthening wireless technologies & ecosystem (WTE). Analytics firm GlobalData spotted the company posted over 300 jobs in 2020, including for “key roles that indicate working on battery power management, road safety, and car experience”. Read more about Apple job postings below.
Ajay Thalluri, Business Fundamentals Analyst says, “GlobalData’s Job Analytics database shows that Apple made specific job postings that closely relate to developing proprietary software and battery technology. Additionally, with the recruitment of ex-Tesla employees over the past few years, Apple is in a better place than ever to know the best step forward for its ambitious electric cars project.”
Apple’s Special Project Group (SPG) is a way through which the company works on innovative projects that can be scaled in the future. In 2020, over 300 SPG job postings were posted with such jobs including key roles that indicate working on battery power management, road safety and car experience.
A few of the SPG positions Apple hoped to fill include:
- Senior power systems engineer for power management and distribution systems
- Electromagnetic compatibility design engineer to suppress converter noise
- Cell characterisation engineer to drive development of novel lithium-ion batteries
- Safety modeling engineer to survey safety models and NHTSA and SAE standards
- Motor controls integration and calibration engineer for electronic systems and motor
- LV power electronics engineer for design and implementation of DC/DCs.
And these were just a few of the job postings. Apple also posted around 50 jobs related to digital car experience and wireless technologies. In the past six months, the company has even been increasing the frequency at which it posts jobs for electrical engineering.
GlobalData’s database shows that Apple has been increasingly posting jobs since August 2020 that require electrical engineering as an education specialization.