Smartwatches have come a long way in recent years. What started as a niche gadget for tech enthusiasts has evolved into a mainstream device with mass appeal. In 2023, there are more great smartwatch options than ever before, making it tricky to determine which is right for you. Best Smartwatches 2023
This article will break down the top smartwatches you can buy this year based on factors like price, features, design and overall value.
1. Apple Watch Series 8
Apple’s latest iteration of their wildly popular smartwatch line, the Series 8 takes an already great product and makes it even better. The Apple Watch has long been the gold standard for seamless integration with the iPhone, and the Series 8 is no exception. Some highlights include:
- All day 18-hour battery life
- Always-on Retina display that’s easy to see even in direct sunlight
- Built-in GPS and water resistance up to 50 meters
- Crash detection that can automatically connect you with emergency services after a severe car crash
- Temperature sensing for deeper insights into your health
- watchOS 9 brings new watch faces and enhanced fitness tracking features
The Apple Watch Series 8 starts at €399 in Europe. The price varies depending on the size and material of the watch. The 41mm aluminum model costs €399, while the 45mm aluminum model costs €429. The stainless steel model costs €699, while the titanium model costs €899. The ceramic model costs €1,199.
2. Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Samsung has essentially dominated the Android smartwatch space, and the Galaxy Watch 5 continues that trend. It works hand-in-hand with Android phones, especially Samsung Galaxy devices. Highlights of the Galaxy Watch 5 include:
- Modern and sleek circular design in two sizes – 40mm and 44mm
- Long battery life of up to 50 hours
- Bright always-on AMOLED display
- Robust health and fitness tracking including sleep patterns, heart rate, ECG, and more
- Sapphire crystal on display adds durability and scratch resistance
- Optional LTE connectivity untethers you from your phone
The Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 starts at €399 in Europe. The price varies depending on the size and material of the watch. The 40mm aluminum model costs €399, while the 44mm aluminum model costs €429. The stainless steel model costs €649, while the titanium model costs €849. The ceramic model costs €1,149. The Galaxy Watch 5 is the obvious pick for Android users wanting a premium smartwatch.
3. Garmin Vivoactive 4
For serious athletes and fitness enthusiasts, Garmin’s Vivoactive 4 smartwatch is a top choice. It lacks some of the fancy smart features of an Apple Watch, but more than makes up for it with best-in-class health and activity tracking including:
- Preloaded sports apps for over 20 activities including running, yoga, swimming, and more
- Advanced sleep monitoring and pregnancy tracking
- Body Battery energy monitoring to optimize workouts and recovery
- Pulse Ox sensor tracks blood oxygen saturation levels
- Over 8 days of battery life in smartwatch mode
The Garmin Vivoactive 4 starts at €299 in Europe. The price varies depending on the size and material of the watch. The 40mm aluminum model costs €299, while the 45mm aluminum model costs €329. The stainless steel model costs €449. If you care more about fitness tracking than notifications and apps, it doesn’t get much better than this.
4. Fitbit Versa 4
Fitbit has pivoted strongly into the smartwatch space while still offering industry-leading health and sleep tracking. The Versa 4 continues that trend with a focus on fitness in a compact and lightweight design. Key features include:
- Activity tracking for running, swimming, sleeping and more
- Built-in GPS for pace and distance without a phone
- 24/7 heart rate monitoring
- Over 6 days of battery life
- Google Wallet payments on your wrist
- Thousands of apps from Fitbit and Google Play stores
The Fitbit Versa 4 starts at €229 in Europe. The price varies depending on the color and band. The black aluminum model with a black band costs €229, while the rose gold aluminum model with a pink band costs €249. The stainless steel model with a silver band costs €299. It’s the smartwatch pick for anyone who wants robust fitness tech at an affordable price point.
5. Apple Watch Ultra Best Smartwatches 2023
The new Apple Watch Ultra is designed for extreme sports and outdoor adventures. It’s bigger, tougher, and more capable than a standard Apple Watch. Key features of this top-of-the-line smartwatch include:
- Rugged titanium case and sapphire crystal screen
- Up to 36 hours of battery life
- Precision dual-frequency GPS for accurate tracking
- Water resistance to 100 meters along with EN13319 certification for scuba diving
- Built to handle temperatures from -4° to 131°F
- Loud siren in case of emergencies in the wilderness
Starting at $799, the 49mm Apple Watch Ultra justifies its price for hardcore athletes who need advanced training features and durability. For the average person, it’s overkill, but serious adventurers will appreciate its capabilities.
Conclusion about the Best Smartwatches 2023
The smartwatch space has something for everyone in 2023. Whether you’re an athlete, adventure seeker, or simply want a convenient wrist companion to your phone, there’s a great option for you. Apple continues to dominate the market, especially for iPhone users, but Samsung, Garmin, and Fitbit all offer compelling alternatives. Use this breakdown of the top smartwatches available this year to decide which best fits your needs and budget. Best Smartwatches 2023