Two months after announcing the launch of women-only departures, Overseas Adventure Travel (O.A.T.), is expanding its women-only adventures for 2020, due to demand.
O.A.T. is adding five women-only trailblazing adventures in 2020, for a total of 17 women-only departure dates. Many of these adventures are led by a female Trip Experience Leader.
“We thought these women-only departures would be popular, yet it was surprising how quickly we needed to offer more dates,” said Brian Fitzgerald, chief operating officer of O.A.T. “We anticipate continued strong demand.”
Overseas Adventure Travel women-only adventures include Morocco, Botswana, Sicily, India, and Peru, among other far-flung destinations. Travelers engage with local people throughout each adventure and are welcomed into the homes of local families for Home-Hosted Dinners.
In 2018, 60,000 women aged 50 and older traveled with O.A.T. in small groups of 8-16 travelers (an average of 14).
The trend of women-only travel has been gaining popularity in recent years, as more women seek opportunities to travel safely and comfortably with like-minded individuals. Here are some trends and statistics related to women-only travel:
- Growing Demand: The demand for women-only travel has been increasing steadily in recent years. According to a survey by Booking.com, over half of the women (56%) have taken a solo trip, and nearly two-thirds (65%) would consider traveling solo in the future.
- Diverse Options: Women-onIy travel options have expanded beyond traditional group tours to include a variety of experiences such as adventure travel, wellness retreats, and cultural immersion programs. This allows women to find a trip that fits their interests and preferences.
- Safety and Security: Safety and security are the top concerns for women when it comes to travel. Women-onIy travel companies have responded by offering security measures such as female-only guides, transportation, and accommodations.
- Social Connection: Women-onIy travel also provides an opportunity for social connection and bonding with other women. Many women-only tours and programs include group activities and opportunities for networking and building relationships.
- Future Growth: The future of women-onIy travel looks promising, with more women seeking travel experiences that are tailored to their interests and needs. The COVID-19 pandemic has also increased the demand for small-group travel and outdoor experiences, which are well-suited for women-only travel.
The key players in the women-onIy travel industry vary depending on the type of travel experience being offered. Here are some examples of key players in different segments of the women-only travel industry:
- Group Tours: Companies that offer group tours exclusively for women include G Adventures, Intrepid Travel, and Women Traveling Together.
- Adventure Travel: Adventure travel companies that specialize in women-only trips include Adventures in Good Company, WHOA Travel, and Explorer Chick.
- Wellness Retreats: Wellness retreats for women are offered by companies such as The Women’s Travel Group, Women’s Quest, and The Travel Yogi.
- Cultural Immersion: Companies that offer cultural immersion experiences for women include Global Village Tours, Sisters Tours, and Wild Women Expeditions.
- Solo Travel: Companies that cater to solo women travelers include Solos Holidays, Just You, and Singles Travel International.
Overall, there are many players in the women-only travel industry, ranging from large tour operators to small, niche companies. The industry is diverse and continues to grow as more women seek travel experiences that are tailored to their interests and needs.
In conclusion, women-only travel is a growing trend that provides a safe and supportive environment for women to explore the world and connect with like-minded individuals. With the increasing demand for diverse travel experiences, the future of women-only travel looks promising.