Romania’s monthly internet traffic reaches 28 GB in fixed and 2.3 GB over mobile internet connections

Average internet consumption per Romanian user reached 26 GB over fixed internet connections and 2.3 GB over mobile internet connections in the first half of 2018, according to data from telecommunications authority Ancom. The average monthly fixed internet traffic per inhabitant increased by 15 percent, while mobile internet traffic soared by 49 percent per inhabitant.

The number of 4G/LTE connections grew steadily by 12 percent to 9 million. 4G/LTE connections stand at 46 percent of the total number of mobile internet connections, while 3G connections make up 39 percent of the total. The share of high-speed connections represent 85 percent of the 19.3 million mobile internet connections.

The total mobile internet traffic increased by 48 percent in H1 to 0.26 million TB, while the average monthly mobile internet traffic per inhabitant reached 2.3 GB.

Based on the number of mobile internet connections active at mid-2018, the market leader held a market share of 38 percent, followed by the runner up with 24 percent, the third placed with 19 percent, while the rest of the providers totalled 19 percent.

According to Ancom’s statistics, the number of fixed internet connections in Romania reached 4.9 million in H1, up by 3.6 percent compared to end-2017.

The penetration rate of fixed internet per 100 households was 60 percent at national level, respectively 72 percent in urban areas and 43 percent in rural areas. The gap between urban and rural areas kept narrowing: the number of fixed internet connections in rural areas exceeded 1.5 million, rising 8 percent for the second semester in a row. Approximately one third of the rural connections enable speeds above 100 Mbps, up by 32 percent in the first half of 2018.

READ MORE: Banca Transilvania launches contactless payment option through Garmin smartwatch

At national level, the share of high-speed connections of at least 100Mbps reached 66 percent, mainly due to the roll-out of fibre optic networks, which are getting ever closer to the end-user’s location. Moreover, 58 percent of the fixed internet connections are achieved over FTTH or FTTB.

In H1, the total fixed internet traffic reached 3 million TB (+14 percent), therefore the average monthly fixed internet traffic per inhabitant was 26 GB.

Based on the number of fixed internet connections at the end of H1, the market leader held 49 percent market share, the second largest provider had 24 percent, the third placed had 13 percent, whereas the rest of the providers totalled 14 percent.

You might also like

Leave A Reply