European Telecom Markets
The complexity of the European telecoms market makes it very different to the US. Each of these markets have their own specialties and differences.
As with Latin America and Africa, the region is notable for having half a dozen pan-European operators with interests in several key markets. These main players include Deutsche Telekom, Telefónica, Vodafone Group, Hutchison and TeliaSonera.
The EU Roaming Regulation covers the 28 Member States of the EU – 27 from 2019 when the UK departs – and the 3 members of the European Economic Area (EEA), which are Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.
What’s in… All 28 EU Member states and
- Åland Islands
- Büsingen am Hochrhein
- Campione d’Italia and Livigno
- Canary Islands
- Ceuta and Melilla
- UN Buffer Zone in Cyprus
- French Guiana
- Monaco (not the EU but is covered by France)
- Mount Athos
- Saint Martin
- Vatican City (not the EU but is covered by Italy)
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia
- Andorra (it has the Euro but is not the EU)
- Faroe Islands
- Channel Islands (Bailiwick of Jersey and Bailiwick of Guernsey)
- Isle of Man
- Northern Cyprus
- San Marino